A public forum on flaws within the bail bond system will be held in Wichita on Sat., Sept. 9, 3 p.m. at the Atwood Neighborhood Resource Center, 2755 E. 19th St. North.
One4US Brand, founded by Tony Johnson, is sponsoring the panel discussion “Beyond Bars: Unlocking Bail Bonds & Legal Defense,” a forum to explore ways to create a more equitable and just system.
The One4US Brand is an apparel line with a deep commitment to social justice issues. Inspired by the 14th Amendment’s declaration of equal protection under the laws for everyone as well as some of the senseless murders of people like George Floyd, Johnson wanted to create a brand that made a statement.
The event will also serve as a forum for One4US Brand to announce a pledge to provide bail bond and legal defense support to marginalized communities.
The panel discussion will feature a diverse lineup of community leaders and impacted individuals. Panelists include:
- Tony Johnson – founder of One4US Brand
- Angel Martinez – owner of Wichita Bonding Co.
- Dr. Kevin Harrison – founder of The Breathe Project
- Dr. William Polite – founder of Protect Your Mind: School Halls Not Prison Walls
- Dante Bristow – representative from Progeny
- Sen. Oletha Faust-Goudeau – Kansas state senator
- Adonijah Metcalf – representative from Progeny
- Latahra Carnes – founder of KC Freedom Project
The panel discussion will be moderated by Ti’Juana Hardwell, a grassroots community organizer and owner of Mamarazzi Communications.
This event provides a platform for individuals, activists, policymakers, and community members to engage in a constructive dialogue surrounding bail bond reform. Attendees will have the opportunity to gain insights, ask questions, and join the conversation.