The number of COVID-19 cases in Wyandotte County has surged over the past several weeks, and leaders at the Unified Government Public Health Department are urging people to get vaccinated, continue wearing masks and practicing good hygiene to help stop the slow of the virus.
Here’s current data on the spread of COVID in Wyandotte County:
- 26,035 confirmed cases of the virus
- 3,411 probable cases
- The 7-day rolling average has climbed to 71 new cases per day, which is 3.5 times as high as it was just five weeks ago at the end of October
- The 7-day rolling average percent positivity is at 33 percent, which is twice as high as the end of October
- At this point, 55% of people in Wyandotte County have received at least one dose of the vaccine, while only 47% are fully vaccinated.
Recently, the Unified Government Commission voted to extend its previous mask order for Kansas City, KS and the unincorporated area of Loring in Wyandotte County through 11:59 p.m. on January 6, 2022. This extension was in part due to COVID surges being seen not just in Wyandotte county but also across the United States and in Europe.
Free Vaccinations Available for People Ages 5 and Older
The UGPHD continues to offer free COVID-19 vaccines for people who live in Wyandotte County ages 5 and older, at the former Kmart site at 7836 State Avenue. Hours for COVID-19 vaccinations and testing are as follows (NOTE: All of these services are free of charge!):
- COVID Vaccines available Wednesday – Friday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM, December 20 – 29, Monday – Wednesday, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
- COVID Testing available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM, December 20 – 29, Monday – Wednesday, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
- The former Kmart will be closed for the holidays on December 23, 24 and December 30 and 31.
COVID vaccinations are now available for people ages 12 and older at the UGPHD building at 619 Ann Ave in downtown KCK, Monday and Tuesday mornings, by appointment only. Call 913-573-8855 to make an appointment.
If you are planning to get tested for COVID for the holidays, just be aware that it may take 2-3 days to receive your results. Plan ahead: if you’d like to have your test before Christmas, please visit the Former Kmart Site by Friday, December 17 to ensure you receive the results before the holiday.