Members of the Beta Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority are encouraging real action on police reform. More than just marching and posting social media, they’re asking community members to reach out to their elected officials in support of the Justice in Policing Act.
The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 (H.R. 7120 / S. 3912) was introduced on June 8, led by Congressional Black Caucus Chair Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA 37), Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY 17). The bill passed in the House on June 25.
This is a major step toward racial justice and accountability for law enforcement, wrote chapter leaders in a recent press release.
Key provisions of the bill include:
• Work to End Racial & Religious Profiling
• Save Lives by Banning Chokeholds & No-Knock Warrants
• Limit Military Equipment on American Streets & Requires Body Cameras
• Hold Police Accountable in Court
• Investigate Police Misconduct
• Empower Our Communities to Reimagine Public Safety in an Equitable and Just Way
• Change the Culture of Law Enforcement with Training to Build Integrity and Trust
• Improve Transparency by Collecting Data on Police Misconduct and Use-of-Force
• Make Lynching a Federal Crime
Members of Beta Omega Chapter are encouraging you to call your senator or elected officials now and encourage them to support the Justice in Policing Act.
• Senator Roy Blunt at 202-224-5721
• Senator Josh Hawley at 202-224-6154.
• Senator Jerry Moran at 202- 224-6521
• Senator Pat Roberts at 202- 224-4774
To find out who represents you in Congress, visit: https://ballotpedia.org/Who_represents_me
What Should You Say
Now is the time for action. Here’s an abbreviated script suggested by Beta Omega.
“My name is (YOUR NAME). I am your constituent. I am asking you, as my senator to use your position to secure police reforms in our community. We must ensure that the rights and lives of all citizens, especially those of African descent, are protected as they interact with law enforcement and the criminal justice system. I demand police reform legislation. Please support and vote for The Justice in Policing Act 2020.”