Last year, the Department of Homeland Security reminded travelers that REAL ID requirement and enforcement would start in 2020 – that time is fast approaching, so don’t wait until the last minute to check on your compliance status.

Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, every air traveler must present a REAL ID compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or other acceptable forms of identification, such as a valid passport or U.S. military ID, to fly within the United States or visit a federal facility. Individuals who are unable to verify their identity will not be permitted to enter the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint and will not be allowed to fly.

What is REAL ID?

After the terrorists’ attack of Sept. 2001, the 9/11 Commission found that some of the extremists had used fake IDs to gain passenger access. So, in 2005, congress passed the REAL ID Act, implementing the commission’s recommendation that the federal government set standards for issuing licenses for identification.

The purpose of the law is to standardize the way states issue driver’s licenses and federal IDs to be used for specific, secured federal facilities.

Are you compliant?

REAL ID compliant licenses are marked by a star on the top of the card; Kansas began issuing them in Aug. 2017. If you’ve renewed your license since 2012, the Division of Vehicles may already have your documentation on file. You can get a driver’s license status check to find out.

Once you’ve entered your credentials, check the section for Real ID – if it says yes, the Department has the information needed for you to receive Real ID. If you do not have it on your license, simply visit a driver’s license office for the upgrade.

If you receive a no, then you’ll need to bring in the necessary documents to the driver’s license office.

What Documents do I Need to Bring to Receive a Real ID?


1.) You will need to provide proof of lawful presence.

Please select ONE from the list below:

  • State Issued Birth Certificate
  • Unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)

2.) You must provide proof of your Social Security Number.

Please select ONE document from the list below:

  • Social Security Card
  • Current W-2 or 1099 showing full Social Security Number
  • Current pay stub showing full Social Security Number

3.) You MUST provide two proofs of current Kansas residential address. Proof must be dated within the last year.

Junk mail or personal letters will not be accepted.

The following are examples of documents that can be used to prove Kansas residency:

  • Rent or Lease Agreement
  • Renewal Postcard
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Utility Bill
  • Financial Institution Documents (Bank Statement, Deed, or Mortgage)

4.) If your name is different than documents in number one above, (due to adoption, marriage, divorce, court ordered name change, or is not the same on all of your documents) you MUST provide proof of the name change.

The following are a few documents that will be accepted to prove a legal name change:

  • Certified State Issued Marriage Certificate
  • Court Ordered Divorce Decree
  • Any Court Ordered or Legal Name Change Documents
  • Legal Adoption Paperwork


You can order certified vital records through the Office of Vital Statistics at

Visit, or call 785-296-3671 for more info on becoming Real ID compliant.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.