Through a new initiative supported by the Kansas Board of Regents, students wanting to return and finish their degree at Kansas Regent colleges now have an easier road.

The initiative is called the Adult Higher Education Accessible Degrees (AHEAD) and is funded by the Lumina Foundation.

This program helps adults who have college credit but no degree return to school and earn their degree. Students can enroll in an online degree program, transfer college credits already earned, get credit for prior learning and military training, find out about financial aid options, finish their degree and get a promotion or a better job.

People who have an associate’s or a bachelor’s degree earn significantly more on average than those who have some college credit but no degree, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Additionally, online and adult students report more satisfaction with their overall college experience than traditional on-campus students, according to a national survey.

College-Level Examination Program

Using the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) AHEAD participants can demonstrate mastery of college-level material and to earn college credit if they score 50 and above on a CLEP test.  There are a total of 38 different CLEP exams available.   The Modern States Education Alliance Freshman Year for Free program provides free online courses to help returning adults prepare for the CLEP exams.

Active duty military personnel and spouses may also be eligible for DANTES-funded CLEP exams.  The Kansas Board of Regents Collaborative on Military Credit project has also evaluated a variety of Army Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) to determine the equivalent skills, outcomes and competencies learned in college courses. This is an ongoing initiative which will eventually include additional branches of the military. View the

Reverse Transfer

More than 37,000 Kansans have earned two or more years of college credit, but no degree, and more than 15,000 of them attended both a two-year and four-year institution.  Under the AHEAD program, instead of just being able to transfer your credits forward to your new university, you can transfer the credits you earn at your new university back to your old university, and apply them to receive an associate degree or a certificate. 

Eligible students must have at least 45 credit hours at one or more public community college or technical college in Kansas. You can go online to see a list of the system-wide transfer course available for transfer.

To learn more about the AHEAD program, contact the Registrar’s Office at the institution where you currently enrolled, or the community college or technical college where you were last enrolled.

A Few Featured Online Program for AHEAD Participants 

For more information contact the individuals listed below, or the community or technical college of your choice to learn about their online associate degree programs!

Emporia State University – General Studies – BID

Adam Koci,, 620-341-5583

Fort Hays State University – Information Networking & Telecommunications – BS

Dawne Leiker,, 785-628-4618

Kansas State University – Technology Management – BS

Jennifer Pfortmiller,, 620-786-1188

Pittsburg State University – Workforce Development – BS

Krissy Lewis,, 620-235-4179

University of Kansas – Communication Studies- BGS

Denise Farmer,, 785-864-6876

Wichita State University – Criminal Justice – BSCJ

Noelle Wilson,, 844-978-6656

Washburn University – Health Services Administration – BHS

Amber Ybarra,, 785-670-1283

Other online programs in business, education, leadership, nursing, and additional areas are also available.

Or if you prefer to do some career exploration first, visit the career one stop center sponsored by the

U.S. Dept. of Labor. at any of the seven public universities and most community colleges in Kansas. A total of 38 different CLEP exams are available, and the current list of the Kansas public institutions that award college credit for an MOS. To learn more, please contact the Kansas public university or college where you place to finish your degree. REVERSE TRANSFER INFORMATION FOR COMPLETING AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE More than Guarantee.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *