Live cooking demos, tastings and 50+ organization booths part of March 28 event.
If eating healthy has been on your New Year’s to-do list, but you still feel like you need a boost, a free community fair with cooking tips, demonstrations and tastings may be a good place to start.
We All Eat, a free hands-on community learning event, will be held 3 to 7 p.m. Thurs., March 28, at the Sedgwick County Extension Office, 7001 W. 21st St. Yes, it’s on the West Side – but no problem, Wichita Transit is offering free rides to the event from three east-side community centers.
This is a come-and-go event. More than 50 organizations and vendors will take part. There will also be door prizes and plenty of giveaways.
There will be live cooking demonstrations. Participants will be able to get tips, tools, tricks and tastings designed to inspire healthy eating. Bring the kids, there will be activities for all ages.
The event is free, but organizers are gathering canned goods for the Kansas Food Bank – specifically canned tuna and chicken, fruit (in juice) and vegetables (low sodium).
We All Eat is sponsored by the Wichita State Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, the Health and Wellness Coalition of Wichita, the City of Wichita, and the Shocker Neighborhood Coalition.
For more information, contact LaShonda Garnes at 316-978-6834.
FREE TRANSPORTATION SCHEDULE TO WE ALL EAT
Wichita transit will pick up and drop off people from Colvin, Atwater, and Evergreen Neighborhood Resource Centers. See the schedule below.
In addition transit free day passes and trip planning assistance will be available for individuals needing return transportation to a location other than the three neighborhood centers.
Pick-up and Drop-off Schedule
Colvin Neighborhood Resource Center, 2820 S. Roosevelt
Pick up: 2:15 p.m. / Drop off: 4:30 p.m.
Pick up: 5:25 p.m. / Drop off: 7:10 p.m.
Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center, 2755 E. 19th Street North
Pick up: 2:35 p.m. / Drop off: 4:30 p.m.
Pick up: 5:05 p.m. / Drop off: 7:10 p.m.
Evergreen Resource Center, 2700 N. Woodland
Pick up: 2:55 p.m. / Drop off: 4:30 p.m.
- Child Start Early Childhood Connections – healthy, child-friendly snack, resources on family style dining, child care and more
- Healthy Green Nutrition LLC – ways to decrease sugar in the diet
- Mental Health Association of South Central Kansas – activities on how diet affects mental health
- State of Kansas Department for Children and Families – healthy recipes and ways to stretch SNAP dollars
- Strong Roots Healthy Farming LLC – sampling scatterbrained tea and providing samples of homemade granola bars
- Sunflower Health Plan – easy to prepare snack tasting
- Wichita Public Library – fruit and veggie beanbag toss
- Central Plains Area Agency on Aging – prevent T2 Diabetes Prevention Program
- American Heart Association – rethink your drink and fruit infused water station
- Sedgwick County Division of Health, WIC – kid friendly fruit and vegetables
- Orie’s Farm Fresh- health benefits of garlic and offering garlic shots
- Children’s Mercy Wichita – shopping smart to provide quick and healthy family meals
- Bike Walk Wichita – biking and walking resources, encouraging people to use active transportation for running errands close to home
- ICT Food Circle – produce ID quiz and learn about local food availability
- K-State Research & Extension Therapeutic Master Gardeners – accessible gardening tools, herb plant giveaways
- Wichita Dietetic Association – make your own low sodium spice blend and recipes to use the spice blend
- Sedgwick County Farm Bureau – how farmers produce healthy food by caring for the environment, focusing on the importance of pollinators to agriculture and some ways farmers use biotechnology
- K-State Research & Extension Compost Master Garden Committee – composting techniques, work composting and educating on food waste
- K-State Research & Extension Community Gardens – promoting community gardening in Wichita
- Health & Wellness Coalition – resources to promote good nutrition and fruit infused water station
- Eat Real America – satisfy your sweet tooth with REAL food, snack ideas healthy enough to be breakfast and delicious enough to be dessert
- Cooking Matters for Parents, Greater Wichita YMCA – grab-n-go snack idea and also share about the FREE Cooking Matters for Parents classes around the community
- Wichita Dietetic Association – building a better breakfast
- Premier Food Service – healthy snacks
- Jr Chef Academy, Greater Wichita YMCA – kids can and should learn to cook! Swing by to hear from some Jr Chef’s
- K-State Research & Extension – smoothie bike
- Greater Wichita YMCA – the importance of eating healthy AND being physically active with a pickle ball demonstration
- Kansas Grown Farmers’ Market – shopping and eating locally
New organizations participating this year:
- GraceMed Health Clinic – demonstrating the importance of drinking low sugar drinks
- Wichita Transit – information, route maps, and trip planning to access healthy food
- Pampered Chef – featuring tools to prep healthy meals
- Graze the Prairie – samples of grass fed beef and lamb
- Songbird Juice Company – juice samplings or a smoothie tasting
- Active Wellness Solutions – educating on the importance of being well hydrated
- Consuelo 4 Health – 12 incredible benefits of getting more greens in your diet
- ICT Food Rescue
- Serenity Farm – displaying fresh veggies in grow trays, sampling Swiss Chard Salad
- Wichita Habitat for Humanity – interactive trivia game regarding budgeting for groceries
- Davita- the hunger scale